MARVEL gathers 33 research laboratories from 11 Swiss institutions and opens the door to accelerated materials design and discovery. The IBM Research laboratories at Rüschlikon have been a partner to MARVEL from the very beginning. An Industrial Advisory Board helps us gain insight into industrial challenges for which atomistic modeling could play a role. We are now looking to develop broad industrial partnerships focused on the development of materials with specific properties over medium- to long-term perspectives.
MARVEL's research areas can be classified into five industrial application sectors: metallurgy, energy, pharmaceuticals, chemistry/catalysis, new electronics.
Modeling can provide answers to questions linked to:
- the evolution of mechanical properties of crystals with temperature
- the selection of new compositions of alloys to reach targeted mechanical properties
- the prediction of optical or electrical properties of a novel materials,
- the identification of the best spatial configuration of a chemical compound.
Such questions can be solved with theoretical models, allowing you to evaluate a family of materials before investing in full-scale experimental tests.
MARVEL is the central entry point giving you access to:
- leading laboratories in new materials design and discovery,
- informatic infrastructure for high speed calculations that allow us to address complex technical issues,
- experimental facilities at Empa and PSI, among others, to validate the results of modeling
- public funding for collaborative research : Innosuisse projects at Swiss level, European fundings, direct mandates or student internships.